James Vick's, Inc. Client History
Masco Braun Summary of Achievements for the Shingo Prize (May, 1995)
audited by the Shingo Council)
- Market share increased 26% since 1991
- On time shipping, based upon customer demand date, improved by 45% since 1992 to 95%.
- Customer complaints decreased 63% since 1992.
- Customer opinion survey changes since 1990 are: Pricing opinion is up 17%, Delivery
opinion is up 30%, Quality opinion is up 20%, Product opinion is up 18%.
- Number of machines and equipment above a Cpk of 1.67 increased from 50% to 76% since
- Scrap decreased 45% on increasing production volume since 1992.
- Units scrapped as a percent of production decreased 60% since 1992.
- Scrap dollars as percent of shipping dollars decreased 46% since 1992.
- Total cost of quality decreased 27% since 1992.
- Direct labor productivity increased 64% since 1992.
- Total shop hours (direct and indirect) worked 2.50 hours to earn one standard hour in
1994. This is a 97% improvement from the 4.81 hours it took to earn one hour in 1992.
- Sales per employee increased by 63% from 1991 through 1994.
- Through continuous improvement and technology development, one manufacturing cell
improved shipments per employee by 492% since 1987.
- Sales per total assets employed (less land) increased 26.9% since 1992.
- Preventive maintenance increased 45% since 1991.
- Predictive maintenance increased 17% since 1991.
- Unscheduled downtime as a percent of production hours has improved 36% since 1991.
- Gas consumption decreased 6% since 1992 on increasing production volume.
- Electric consumption decreased 12.5% since 1992 on increasing production volume.
- Reused chemical waste increased from 317,000 pounds or by 534% since 1992. It was zero
- Recycled chemical waste increased from 224,000 pounds to 335,600 pounds since 1991.
- Chemical waste disposal reduced from 859,000 pounds in 1991 to 692,000 pounds in 1994.
- Inventory (raw, WIP, finished) turns improved 26% since 1992.
- Manufacturing throughput time decreased from 30 to 20 days or by 33% since early 1993.
- Setup times improved 16% overall, and by 45% on select machines since early, 1993.
- Tool (permanent and perishable) costs per sales dollar decreased by 7.5% since 1992.
- Workman's compensation costs decreased 83% since 1991.
- Lost time accidents decreased 45% since 1991.
- Recordable injuries decreased by 72% since 1991.
After the Shingo Prize was awarded, the following two major
projects were completed, as project leader
Achieved QS-9000, ISO-9002, and ISO-9001 certification in April, 1996.
(Project duration = 12 months).
software by May 1998 as a part of Masco's Y2K-compliance project.
Inc., 5102 Wedgefield Granbury, Texas 76049 PH. 817-279-3116
©" Copyright 1996 James Vick